Well, yesterday was a first for me. I harvested my first yeast. I did a transfer of my wort from the primary to the secondary for the Commandant Pliny, a Pliny the Elder clone. When I did this, I also dry hopped it for the first time to get it closer to bottling. A few things to see here – there a HUGE amount of trub at the bottom due to all that hops. Unfortunately I will not get a full batch due to this.
- Boil water and get towels. No, this is not what is needed to deliver a baby.
- Put in 5 pint size mason jars. I bout a 12 pack at Walmart for about $8. I figure I will need more in the future.
- After boiling them for about 15 minutes,
I removed them from the pot with water still in them. This way I had sanitized water to put in on the yeast/trub cake.
- I capped the jars off and let them cool.
- After the jars and the water cooled, I dumped it into the carboy on top of the trub and yeast cake – look at that solid stuff there!
- I poured most of the trub/yeast cake into 4 jars. I left one open to help me decant it.
- I then put the filled jars into the fridge to help cold crash them.
- After they cold crashed, I decanted them out. I first used the empty jar, then used one that I had decanted.
- I ended up with two jars in the end of WL001 slurry. I now can make a fresh starter with each one for new batches of tastiness!
Some thoughts to ponder:
- I am sure this will be a quicker process in the future.
- I can’t wait to reuse my yeast for the first time!
- I may end up having to get another fridge for the all the future harvesting and multiple jars!